09 February 2011

Gardens and gardening...


I'm a gardener. Some people are and some people aren't. I can't say that I'm expertly good at it. I wish I was. But it is something that I really enjoy. In fact I'd have to say that gardens and gardening make my little heart go pitter patter! 
Gardening can be one of the most therapeutically blissful things to do in life. 


This is where it all started for me. The garden where I grew up (above) - mum and dad's pride and joy. For me, as a child, it was like a huge parkland. A lovely big private park. All for me. And my sisters. But mainly just for me! ; - ) ❤ Thank you to my mum and dad for instilling in me a love of all things gardens & gardening 

So when my children came along it was only natural that I wanted them to enjoy their own little green space. Little being the operative word because we lived in the city, so that meant moving further out of the city in order to afford to live somewhere with a garden. But I was always sure we made the most of what our beautiful city had to offer in the way of parks and gardens. Here they are, below, enjoying the David Jones Christmas in the Park in the centre of Sydney. What a beautiful day that was. 



Not only do we appreciate using the parks and gardens, that the city has on offer, to wander through on beautiful sunny days, we also learnt to appreciate our wide open public parks and gardens in times of need. Especially during bush fire season when the giant Hercules helicopter called ''Elvis'' would land on our local playing oval to refuel. What an exciting adventure watching that helicopter take off and land.


We also learnt to appreciate the beauty and the simplicity of gardens. This is the 'Welcome' garden that Emma and Sean planted as a thank you to their pre-school when they left to go to 'big school'.  A simple gesture to say thanks... a way of beautifying their community and surroundings. Gone are the weeds, replaced by a simple gift that gives...lovely big blue agapanthus. 



Moving into our first home with our teeny tiny garden was a great adventure - teaching the kiddos about gardening and getting in and getting their hands dirty, planting something that gives life.  It didn't matter how small it was. It was always green and it was ours. And boy did we enjoyed marching down those steps to find a sunny corner of the garden for a picnic, where our resident Blue Tongue Lizard would always come out to join us! 



And now, about to move home, back to Sydney after a long & exhausting adventure in Europe. I am so looking forward to getting into the garden of our current home. We had only been in this house for six months before we moved O.S...so I really didn't have the opportunity to make it mine. Now, so many plans...a vegie patch, some drought tolerant natives, a little ''English Country Garden'' corner perhaps, more iris...lots more iris (love blue Dutch iris), maybe even a pool (a girl can dream!)....I love gardening. 

I love that feeling of getting my hands dirty. That feeling that you've really accomplished something at the end of the day. And...that glorious smell after you have watered everything in. Then sitting back with a nice cool glass of wine in hand and taking it all in...the trees, the greenery, the flowers... my own little piece of Aussie bush in the back yard...it takes me to another place. My happy place : ) 






Today I'm linking up with the very gorgeous Sarah at Modern Country Style for her English Garden Party. Thanks for being a wonderful hostess with the mostess Sarah & thanks for letting me ramble about gardens and gardening!  


Modern Country Style

I'm also linking up with Sarah at A Beach Cottage's Good Life Wednesday - appreciating life & the little things through the garden. Such a wonderfully wholesome feeling to be in the garden  : )  


(I'm having internet difficulties...ugh... wish I was more technically minded, then I could fix it - when I hit the publish button some of my photos didn't load properly. If you click on the space where the blank photo is it will open up to the actual photo...if that makes sense...oh dear...think I'll head out to sit in the garden now!)



Alison x



*for Mrs McLean and her beautiful, inspirational garden - I am quite sure there were fairies at the bottom of her garden*

10 comments:

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi lovely,

All your photos were shwoing their pretty faces to me in this post...so maybe the internet decided to behave itself again!!

What a great post this is. I love the way you credit your parents for instilling the love of gardening in you.

I always used to think gardening was the most boring thing in the world but now I LOVE it!!! It makes my heart go pitter-patter too!

Thanks SO much for linking up to my blog today.

Big hug, gorgeous girlie,

Sararhx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi lovely,

All your photos were shwoing their pretty faces to me in this post...so maybe the internet decided to behave itself again!!

What a great post this is. I love the way you credit your parents for instilling the love of gardening in you.

I always used to think gardening was the most boring thing in the world but now I LOVE it!!! It makes my heart go pitter-patter too!

Thanks SO much for linking up to my blog today.

Big hug, gorgeous girlie,

Sararhx

Marlis said...

Your backyard is divine! Lovely spot for a glass of wine. Darling children. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cindy said...

Beautiful photos and lovely ramblings. I love gardens too, but I'm not quite the gardener that you are, I don't think.
Have a lovely day,
Hugs, Cindy

American in Bath said...

Visiting from Modern Country Style. Your photos are coming through well. I'm completely envious of all the sun that showing in these pictures.

Alison Agnew said...

Such lovely garden photos. I especially like the little bistro set. Visiting from Sarah's linky!

Blessings from another Alison with one 'L'

Diana Mieczan said...

Your garden is so beautiful:) I wish I could have a little yard but our apartment is downtown so I only get a balcony:) Enjoy your day
Kisses, my dear

Ps: I am hosting a beautiful GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in :)

Diana Mieczan said...

PPS: your kids are soooo adorable:) Muah:)

michelle said...

What a beautiful garden and a lovely place to sit and relax. I love that feeling to after planting and working, then relaxing and just looking at it and of course the wine! :)

Thank you for your comments on my little garden!

admin said...

Thank you for your beautiful uplifting comment. I appreciate your kind words XO good luck with the move & making a new garden come alive! Sarah XO